Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dx Disappointment

My original goals for the CQ WW SSB DX contest was to first and foremost have fun, also check how the new inverted "L" antenna would perform, try to have a good points showing and check accessory equipment. Well on the first point, I didn't have as much fun as hoped for. 15m was open until the contest and closed up for Me soon after! That was very disappointing because that band and 20m helps Me compete with the bigger stations. 20m also ended up being a dud and 40m was almost unuseable for My little 100w wires only station. Vertical on 40m sometimes does fair-this time it just wasn't cutting it!
Luckily on 160m and 80m until the crowd showed up was decent. DX during this contest was just not hearing Me. Thank goodness for Our Friends to the north-the VE's saved the day! I felt like it was the RAC winter contest at My station! Problem still being just not enough of them!
One good point was My inverted "L"- -on 160m I was hearing DX on this antenna I was not hearing on My big dipole (Doublet). I think the Dx was buried in the noise on the horizontal. Problem on the"L" was I could hear them but they could not hear Me! I think with it buried in the pines the transmit signal is being attenuated. Today I looked at the layout for this antenna and maybe before Winter I'll have a chance to change location slightly,which might help!
Last issue during this contest was unexpected-- My headset/mic combo was again picking up Rf and was now distorted. I tried several solutions before realizing this contest could only be a S&P operation withoout the handsfree headset/mic--bummer. What to do ? Pack it in is what I decided. I have a busy weekend anyway and need to rethink My station and contesting as a whole. I think I'll research a manufactured headset and forget My homemade one.
for now--73--Tim
oh--Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment