Monday, October 11, 2010

Inverted "L" Saga- Part 1

Have You ever noticed how a simple idea can take a life of its own? Yes, well this antenna project is fast becoming this type of a project. I believed foolishly this wire antenna would progress nicely towards a timely conclusion. Maybe even ready for CQ WW Dx end of October.
The first hurdle was getting the vertical wire over the top of 50-60 foot pine trees. My solution was the so called EZ launcher- a slingshot with fishing reel attached. Sounds easy ? Right! A little hint- Your kids old fishing reels ain't going to cut it! I tried-I failed! The line that comes with them is small"test" line. I attached one of My girls old reels to a walmart special wrist-rocket and attached a good sized sinker to it. The first trial sent that sinker a long ways!! Too bad it broke the line with the sudden acceleration!Its also a small capacity reel-see next paragraph!
Next attempt involved a classic Zebco 33 and 20 pound test-- I tried bigger line but its impossible to get enough line on the reel to go over the trees. Speaking of trees- big canopies at the top tend to cushion even a fairly heavy sinker and keep it from falling to the ground! I think a Maple or oak would have suited My purpose better-- also NOT having so many pine trees in rows might have made it easier too.
Many attempts and several close calls finally convinced Me to try another solution! Sometimes the simplest approach is the best-- I climbed up as high as possible and attached a rope and pulley. This will be the apex of My inverted"L"- not as high as i would have liked but now its up there! Thirty feet instead of sixty!
Its dark too early-- saga will continue!
73--Tim
PS-fishing line at accelerated speeds can cut kind of deep! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment