Sunday, October 17, 2010

Inverted "L" Saga- Part 2




First photo shows My entry point to My basement Hamshack. I added another coax to the already full conduit stubs and ran the coax across the back lawn to the woods and the box where I'll transition from coax to wire. The photo on the right is an old waterproof box I salvaged from work and to the left of the white pole is a plate where all My grounds and radial connections are tied together.
I have a pulley at the top end of the vertical section attached to the pine tree with a rope and also have a similiar setup at the end point. I don't want to climb any more than necessary! I spent some time trying to trim branches and get the horizontal portion as high as possible. The vertical is only half as high as I would like but maybe later I'll get it higher.
After all the connections were finished it was time to check with the antenna analyzer. I don't have any matching network at the coax to wire transition so I have a tuner in the shack match it to My radio. The analyzer shows resonance at 1.766 mhz! Hmmm ,little lower than expected-- was hoping for about 1.830-- Dx window! I did try using the tuner for matching across 160m and even most of 75m. Radio seemed to match and transmit for a quick test with no Rf in the shack.
I still need to increase the resonance on this antenna. Outside box would also accommedate a remote tuner or maybe even a simple matching network--- more to come!
73---Tim
PS-- on a 160m net several stations louder on "L" than dipole-- good sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment