Friday, October 1, 2010

Antenna Decision

The day before out walking our dog in the front yard I started looking at the pine trees next to my tower.Wow- their are as high or higher than the tower. Planted years before We bought the place, in straight rows several deep in places. I use the biggest as a tie point for the center of My big 260 ft dipole but maybe if I could somehow get a wire over the top of one farther away, I'd have a good start for an "inverted L" for 160m.
With this in mind I''ve been scouring the internet and several antenna books I have. So far several ideas have popped out at Me. A bazooka type using coax as the radiator and of course the old standby wire type- insulated,fencing type,etc. I also see mostly coax fed antennas which at first I wanted to avoid but under the circumstances it would make feeding this antenna alot easier. It would be tough for open wire feed- too many guys and wires already in the way. Besides I have a long piece of RG-8 already outside as a spare. Just need to swing it towards the chosen pine tree base.
Yes, appears like the choice has been made- really want DX capibility on 160/80m and this might be better than other types I've contemplated. Besides- My tri-band project is on hold for now! Running out of time but maybe not for a wire antenna project!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment