Monday, October 18, 2010

Inverted "L" Saga- Part 3


I noticed My wire had many points touching the branches on lots of the trees it was passing thru and the wire also needed some better attachment at the ends. I spent part of a very nice afternoon trimming and readjusting the path thru the trees till I ended up with a satisfactory horizontal and vertical run- very few branches to interfere.
Checking resonance shows a slight change upwards but still not where I expected it to be...but wait, what was My original intention on resonance? I seem to remember wanting it about the Dx window of 1.830 mhz but that would mean a 1/4 wave length of about 128 ft. Hmm ... I have 130 ft! Plus several additional feet because of My attachment point to the box. That explains it!
Its basically working as advertised!!Maybe trim several feet to bring it up to 1.8mhz!
Why 130 ft?? Ahh.. half of My dipole dimension of 260-- but thats basically at 1.8 mhz-- and fed with 450 open wire, true multiband doublet with tuner in the shack. The inverted "L" concept I was looking at, was a while back and 130 ft stuck in My brain.
Lately I've read about a 3/8 wave "L"-- 160/80 m resonant-- better matching,whole ball of wax! For now, i'm still going to try reducing reactance and maybe even adding a trap for 80m.
Partial success so far-- next contest or QSO will prove it one way or the other!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment