Sunday, November 7, 2010

New Headset and more


I'm the proud owner of a Heil Proset Plus and am looking forward to checking it out on the bands. Was out of town and have not had the opportunity to try it other than some sound checks into a dummy load. I plan on checking into the local 10m net and will ask for some audio checks then. the decision to buy this particular one was not done lightly. Its expensive and I was trying to use available equipment I had on hand, but had too much trouble trying to get old equipment working with my present HF radio. I discussed on the air ,several options and had even partially decided on a certain model , but listening to the Proset plus really sold Me. I like the dual element option . For DX and contesting or simple QSO's I can use the one that works best. The DX element,the HC-4 sounds tight and will probably be real similiar to using microphone processing so it should have good talk power. With the Yaesu FT-950 I can also reduce the transmitt bandwidth so lots of options available, many combinations so a on the air test will be in order!
The HC-5 element should be very pleasant for casual QSo's , from listening to others on the air it has a rich mellow sound. The Headset also has the phase reversal option which is supposed to help to cut down fatigue for long contesting stints! All in all , tough decision to part with the money but I think it will be a good addition to My shack!
I've also tried to spend time outside working on the inverted "L" project before daylight savings time ends! I have now run power from My shack to the weatherproof box at the feedpoint so later this winter adding a remote tuner will be easier. Also have been trying to get a rope postioned higher and throught the trees for a better, clearer , path. Trying a different trick using a golf ball with a hole drilled thru it and a full size fishing rod and reel. So far this working better than the slingshot fiasco!
Halloween decorations are down and put away and lots of Christmas decorations are seeing the light of day--or night!! Dark here now at about 5:00 CST--ouch!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment