Friday, November 12, 2010

Heil,DSL and "L"

I was able to test My Heil proset last night with the help of a good friend on 10m. I was able to test mic gain settings and also have processor on/off, check difference between the Hc-4 and Hc-5 elements and use the built-in equalizer settings on the Yaesu. Interestingly enough, My friend at the other end liked My audio with the processor on. Both of Us have hearing issues so other Hams might like My audio better without processing. Next contest will be the ultimate test arena!
This morning I started to test our new internet service- Qwest DSL. We have not had many choices other than dial-up modem or satellite until recently. We have really liked Satellite internet but it is on the expensive side.Now after hooking up several laptops and one desktop to DSL, the speed is quite a bit better. Still having some issues with various PC's but I will eventually work thru them.
A snow storm has been predicted to arrive here by noon tomorrow so I needed to work outside on several projects before then. My inverted "L" needed to be higher on the horizontal leg and I thought I now had just the tool to do this. My Wife had bought Me a new fishing reel for just this purpose and using a golf ball with a hole drilled in it I was able on the first cast to get over the top of a very tall pine tree. Now My antenna goes straight vertical for 30 feet then angles up another 20 feet before dropping back to the 30 foot level at the end point.On a 160m net tonight I had many good signal reports and most signals are louder on the "L" than My 260 foot doublet!
Success at last!! big smile!!
73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment