Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New/old PC

The Hamshack PC is getting old and tired. Its been a good ol' reliable computer, but its slowly becoming full of stuff! One gigahertz and a half gig of memory at one time was enough ,but no more. Every program on the hard drive is updating and expanding with every download.
I'm very lucky to work in a business with access to old parts for many things including PC's. This also means access to many very technically talented individuals. Last year I replaced My Wife's desktop with a laptop. Its a 2.66ghz Dell with a small 40gb hard drive. Recently upgraded memory to 1.25gb so it loads fairly fast but the Hd is very full. Its an IDE drive and best buy actually has a 350 GB one for about $70. Lots of room!
I was able to use a copy program borrowed from a friend although the drive from Western Digital has one online also. Either way it saved Me many hours of reloading software, a process I've done before after reformatting HD's because of nasty viruses. No fun. This was fairly painless- worked well and now updating software.
New/old PC will be ready soon-- now if I can just find a cheap serial card......
73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment