Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Contest that wasn't!

Well it wasn't a contest for Me at least. The ARRL VHF contest I thought I was prepared for turned out to be a bust! Fridat Night I contacted several Hams in Wisconsin ( W9MP & N9KOR ) on 2m SSB, but no activity on 6m. 6m yagi tested OK so I thought I was set. It rained during the night and the next morning My big dipole was wet enough I had a dickens of a time tuning it to 3.919 for the morning net.
I had also decided to work on some outside projects in between busy times for the contest. This turned out to be a very good idea, a sense of accomplishment for the weekend. At 1800 utc I was on and checking propagation, had several early 2m contacts but 6m was not only dead on My radio but propagation on the internet was bad. Calling CQ on 6m for some reason didn't "feel" right so I decided to recheck with the analyzer and found it now was showing a bad SWR again!
I checked several verticals which tune OK on 6m and they looked normal. My problem was back on 6m just like during the summer- appears moisture is getting in somewhere. Thats why it looked OK till last nights rain. I had a choice now-- use a vertical on 6m or just pack it in. Well I left the staion running and was watching several propagation maps for any openings. I knew that would be the only chance for My available 6m antenna. My 2m setup was doing and checking Ok but activity when I passed thru the basement never really picked up. The bands up in Northern Minnestota never kicked in!!
I'm looking forward to the CQ RTTY contest end of September-- My HF6V was hearing DX whenever I listened.
73----Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment