Wednesday, September 8, 2010

6m is a go!!

The ARRL September VHF contest starts at 1800 UTC September 11th and I believe My 6m Yagi is now useable. I was going to try this contest using My 2m yagi and one of two verticals for 6m and then last night I started examining the 6m antenna issue. What I remember from some simple checks during the summer, the SWR was higher than normal. This yagi was originally built for 52.525 FM but did tune OK at 50.125.
This summer I did a basic check with My antenna analyzer but I had checked it thru jumpers and coax switches. I thought I had also checked right at the feedline and even there it showed high SWR. Now it shows about 1.8:1 at 50.125 which isn't great but not bad enough if used with My FT-950 which will tune to match. A self healing antenna? Maybe.. more than likely a bad/interrmittant jumper!
I bypassed everything and connected a jumper to Ant 2 on the FT- 950 and -voila! Tunes great and testing shows full 100w out. Couldn't raise anyone on frequency for further testing- maybe this weekend after 1800 UTC !!
73--hope to catch You on the bands!!-----Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment