Thursday, March 18, 2010

Computer Aided Transciever Operation-part 2

So I located the proper CAT interface for My Yaesu ft 857D on Ebay. Simple 8 pin mini-din to DB-9 with about six feet of cable. Level conversion was built into the DB9 connector. The price was around $25 which is pricy but they need to make a profit and I needed to control my radio!
I received it several days later and hooked it to My radio and first tried it with Ham Radio Delux. I set up HRD for the Yaesu Ft-857 and the recommended speed of 38400. I also needed to change the Radio menu-20 to "CAT" and menu-19 to 38400. It worked great with HRD and also with N1MM but needed to be set to 4800 bps for both the Radio and logger to work together. N1MM wasn't the only Contest logger I use and several other programs also liked the speed to be set for 4800bps.
In several previous posts I mentioned the issues with the Yaesu Ft-857 and contesting. Nice radio,works for most operating but really wanted to also have the option of using my other radio,a Kenwood TS-850s. This radio uses a CAT IF-232 type of Data transfer. My understanding is it not only needs level conversion but also inverts the data. Well just so happens several Internet Suppliers of this type of interface are available. Price again is the factor and eham reviews steered Me towards a Manufacturer from the United Kingdom. Delivery was again speedy and the price was reasonable.
Hooked the 6 pin din to the radio and the DB-9 with the level converter/inverter built into the connector to the PC. I have heard Kenwood plays best with 4800bps and HRD defaulted to this speed . Worked first time- Alright!! With the CQ WPX contest approaching next weekend, I hope to have time to try the new interface out during contest conditions.
I do have to change the connector to the PC depending on Radio I want to interface so next I will probably aquire a DB9 switch box for a neater,easier install. I have used a CAT interface for RTTY and it works great too.
73-Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment