Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Computer Aided Transciever Operation-part 1

When i first started contesting I actually used paper logs and a plain old desk microphone. The few times I tried "running" a frequency I soon realized how difficult it was to not be hands-free. I built interfaces for Electet microphone and foot switch operation and of course started logging all contests on My PC, even general logging. I joined eQSL and LOTW and always sent every Log no matter how small to the contest robot each time I participated in a contest. I tried to aotumate My contesting as much as possible. What does this have to do with "CAT" control? Simple-- I was tired of keeping track of Frequency and band by manual entry and not being able to utilize band mapping and other features. Up to this point in time ,I have built all My interfaces and was planning on building the reqired CAT interface for both My Yaesu FT-857D and Kenwood TS-850S. It would reqire a Max232 level converter and a inverter for the Kenwood. I also wanted to incorporate sound card interface, level control,footswitch,different microphone and speaker connections. All interfaces I have but in mostly separate boxes. Organization was end game! Wow-- aquired some parts and even stripped a box I figured would work. The problem was the "time" factor. I have built most of these over the last several years and have during this time drawn a basic new schmatic, the the ultimate interface! Probably should have bought one from anyone of a dozen makers . Lots to chose from, but since I now only need a basic CAT for two radios,I decided to finally break down and buy one for the Yaesu and found it on EBAY.
More tomorrow........

No comments:

Post a Comment