Sunday, August 12, 2012

Good Timing

In the last post I mentioned My bad timing with band conditions and missing attempts to contact the Special 2012 Olympic stations. Well that changed for Me on Saturday Afternoon when I happened to be in the shack tuning thru the bands and heard a station call CQ on 15m. I didn't hear their call sign but stopped to listen but as fast as they started they stopped. Not hearing much else on, I stayed on frequency and proceeded to check emails ,but again a station came on frequency,tuned and started calling. Two,oscar,one,two,london calling CQ- wow. Talk about luck! I gave my call,noticing the SWR was higher than normal because I hadn't tuned up yet, but 2012L came back to Me with a S7 and I gave My exchange and they were in the log!
  Next I rechecked the Dx Cluster and noticed 2o12W-- the Wales Olympic special event was also on 15m at 21.325mhz . Quickly I tuned up there and the pile-up was not too bad and they were in the log 3 minutes later!What luck!! Both using 100w into My ground mounted butternut vertical. Later I was also able to contact 2o12L again on 20m . I later tried 17m but could not break the pile-up. I'm still very pleased. The olympic stations will be actice thru the early part of September with the para-olympics so there is still more chances!
73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment