Monday, March 7, 2011

ARRL Dx SSB contest

Well another contest is gone by. The bands were really hopping on parts of Saturday and Sunday but I only know this by reading Forums and email reflectors. I did participate for a short time Friday night but hardly any time after that. My cold still lingered and by early Saturday was causing My voice to disappear to a whisper. I also noticed My vertical was playing SWR games with Me Friday and by Saturday was kaput!! Not sure what's wrong but that only left 80 and 160m and again not much volume left in My vocal chords-- Oh well.
I did manage some contacts Friday night. VP5H from Turks and Caicos I snagged on 20m and since We're both members of MWA- they were operating as they always do from this warm location during this contest, the pile-up was fairly huge and when they heard" November zero" amidst the pile-up, the sea parted! "Who's the November Zero ?? " With a huge smile I gave My call and they returned the contest exchange and added "go MWA"... sweet. Good ears and a great group of guys made this little pistol station feel special for a time-- although reality was just around the corner for the next pile-up! I'm thinking next Year I need a tri-bander in the air!!
P40A was another neat QSO- He was running QRP and took Me by surprise when He returned " 5/9 zero five! What? 505 watts ?? It just was not registering after so many one-kilo's and 100s that He was only running five watts-- neat and a very fine signal in northern Minnesota!!
Hope the bands stay active and next year I hope some aluminum is shining from above!! LOL
73---Tim

Oh-- yeah only about 30 QSO's- -bummer!!! Next Year,Next Year..................

No comments:

Post a Comment