Sunday, March 27, 2011

A New General!

My Nephew Brandon called while He was traveling back from the Buffalo swapfest to give Me the good news He passed the "General" test! I was aware He was studying for this upgrade but didn't realize He was planning on taking it at this certain swapfest. Brandon took His technician test about ten years ago and I guess I could consider Myself His "Elmer" although We live three hours drive time away so I've only had limited influence with any training. He was happy being a "technician" for along time but lately I guess the desire to be on HF was just too much-- I'm glad!! Now that He has expanded HF privledges I plan to help him raise some antennas for those bands. He might even buy My old Kenwood 850-- We'll see. I think I can part with it-LOL!! I remember My first setup- a borrowed HF rig, a homemade tuner and a dipole. I had alot of fun with that setup and in fact that dipole is still in use although its had several repairs performed on it over the years! I think Brandon has plans for a multi band vertical and I have a small wire antenna to donate. Should be more than enough for a good start! If you happen to hear KB0ZZK CQing-- give him an answer back! Who knows you might be His first HF contact! 73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment