Monday, March 28, 2011

CQ WPX SSB 2011

I actually did not plan on participating in this contest until Friday night after I turned on the radio at about 2330 UTC and hearing both 10 and 15m open. I made a few pre-contest contacts and decided I just couldn't stand by and not try to cherry pick some DXCC's. I checked 10m after the contest started but it seemed to have faded quite abit and after hearing the 15m activity , I stayed on 15m for awhile before going to 20m. Several DXCC's I needed I heard but the pile-ups were huge and I just couldn't break them and time was ticking away. I figured with all weekend to try ,I'd just snag them later! Friday night ended up being the only time I ended up having a chance to contest except for a very short time Saturday morning! My signal on the vertical at 100w seemed adaquate and My revised audio , gain settings for My Heil microphone worked well. I even had 6Y1X from Jamaica mention "nice signal" which I assumed meant signal strenght but it could have been an audio report! The conditions over the whole weekend were exceptional but I was only able to experience them friday night. I did manage to add several new DXCC's and as always had a very good time. Only managed about 70 contacts in the short time I was operating -all S & P! 73-- Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment