Monday, February 28, 2011

CQ WW SSB 160m Contest 2011

I was looking forward to this contest not only because I like 160m and a single band contests but I was also anticipating the results of My new inverted "L" and FT-950. All was a go until Friday evening when I came down with the "crud". I managed to work a few contacts Friday night but was in bed sleeping very early. The bands seemed to be in great shape and I even heard CR2X from Azores at a very loud S9. Too bad He didn't hear me!
Saturday I was feeling well enough for a short ,part-time participation in the contest . Surprisingly I was able to increase My score and number of QSO's even with less time spent than previous years - 70 Qso's, 33 mults for a score of 5313. I did notice My inverted "L" seemed to preform much better than My dipole and the FT-950 with its Rx BW filtering made it so much easier to pick out signals. Many times I went to the narrow width setting and was able to almost completely attenuate out neighbors and only hear the signal I wanted. That sure makes it fun! Several guys were CQing and lonely when I was able to pick them out!
This was an S & P operation because of the many breaks I took to rest. Maybe next year I'll be 100% - I know My setup and some good propagation will make an improvement !
Next weekend is ARRL International DX SSB contest!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment