Thursday, February 10, 2011

Soundcard and Webcam conflict

I experienced problems with My soundcard interface both before and after the ARRL RTTY RU in January. I was fortunate to have two radios setup and one ,an FT 857 using AFSK RTTY worked enough to participate in the contest. My other Radio ,a FT-950 wouldn't work enough for any Soundcard interfacing.
After the contest was over I tried even simple modes like PSK31 and neither radio would work.This week I finally had some time to continue to troubleshoot the problem and actually hooked up a scope to look at the line in to the PC. At first I had nothing showing until I switched the scope leads around and then a definate modulated signal was present. Ah, polarity sensitive !
Why wasn't I seeing much level on the PSK31 program? Tried adjusting level up and then started looking at not only the program configuration but also the PC's. The issue seemed to be soundcard input was switching from line input but also to a Webcam and at times a non-exsistant soundcard type. Could the Webcam be a conflict? Hmmm, I seem to remember installing it after the last RTTY contest.
I decided to do a total uninstall of the webcam and associated programs. After a restart I re-configured the PSK31 program and -voila! Now it seemed to work ,both TX and RX although no reply for TX so testing not complete. More to come-- now to check out another problem-- water heater malfunction!! d***
73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment