Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snow and future Antenna plans

I like Winter but the snow depths and frequency of new snow is starting to wear on Me. Spent all day Saturday with snow removeal, roofs,sidewalks, driveway and dog trails! The snowbanks are getting huge! Will it ever end? More snow predicted for tonight. Just in time for back to work and fighting snow removeal in the dark!
The Ham radio end of all this mainly the lack of time to play on the radio.I did listen for a short time to 160m before bed and the band was fairly active with the North American QSO party contest. Heard most of the US from East to West coast, would have been fun to participate but by this time only about an hour and a half was left and I was just too tired! My 160m inverted "L" was definately hearing very well!
Earlier this week I was attending a retirement party and happened to meet several Hams there. Discussion turned towards antennas and the bottom line is this-- I have decided to remove both VHF antennas on My tower and put the ATB34 tri-bander up there instead. I will probably also put a new smaller 2m beam up but refurbish the old 6m beam and put that back on the pole building mini-tower. I am on HF lots more now than VHF and the tri-bander would really help My contesting efforts. Early this Spring I need to assemble and test the ATB-34 and get it ready to put up. The 2m beam i either need to buy or refurbish an old one-- we'll see what the old one looks like. I truthfully don't remember its condition. Love the options!
73-- Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment