Sunday, February 3, 2013

HF6V trouble, #87 & MNQSO party 2013


This is the trail that leads to My ground mounted Butternut vertical antenna. We presently have about one foot of snow on the ground so I'm still able to use this trail to walk My dog and it passes by My antenna. I noticed recently the SWR on all bands was greater than 25 so it appears to be open somewhere.
This is the base after excavating- You can see the coil to ground and the coax where it hooks up. I wish it was a better picture . I inspected this area but could find no visible problem so I connected  a  jumper across the terminals and checked with an ohmmeter from inside. It showed open so the problem is from the inside to the base of the antenna but with the snow and ice fixing this will probably be a spring project. Oh well i have a G5RV as a backup to cover 40m and several other antennas for the other bands.                                                                                                                                                                                            
                                                  


Log book of the World recently showed another DXCC to make it 87 confirmed. RV1CC from European Russia was My latest. Slow but moving towards that 100 goal!

The Minnesota QSO Party contest was Saturday and I had planned for a full day contesting.My vertical antenna i use for 40m-15m was now not available but i assumed my G5RV would be Ok for 40m and My "inverted L" for 15m with My trusty old dipole for 160,80 and 20m. If 10m was open I have the Yagi.
Unfortunately the G5RV has a weird problem- soon after tuning it goes way out of tolerance. I had contacts who mentioned My nice signal,then next transmission, i noticed SWR way high again.Retune, and the same thing. My Inverted L was also giving Me fits. Only antenna working well was My dipole and it hates 40 and 15m! I eventually had enough frustration and gave up on the contest until almost the end when several mobiles I know need My contact on 160m. so all wasn't lost--still fun for a time. I have some antenna maintenance this spring!!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment