Sunday, February 24, 2013

CQ 160m contest 2013

This contest starts a little early for Me as I've just barely arrived home from work when it starts. I did check the bands right away and made a few contacts but the 160m band was very noisy at My location. I took My time getting back to the shack hoping it would be better conditions but both nights until My time to quit for the night the conditions only marginally improved.
   I noticed another issue the first night which had Me frustrated-- N1MM kept asking for certain contacts for the correct section. It didn't dawn on Me until the next day I had set up N1MM for an ARRL 160m contest, not the CQ version! I emailed the MWA reflector and later received a detailed answer to correct this mistake but by then I had already started to re-enter all contacts in preperation for Saturday night. Luckily or not , I didn't have a huge log. I kept being pulled away from the shack both nights by other duties and fun activities. Very typical contest for Me!
  This contest did afford Me a great chance to check how well My dipole and inverted L antenna played against each other. I truthfully have to say it was very even. I did My usual S & P operation and would use the dipole tuning one direction and then later switch to the "L" for the return direction! Several times neither antenna would cut thru!Many times one or the other was able to catch the attention of the CQing contestant. A very satisfying experiment during contest conditions.Glad I have both antennas as an option.
  I also had several extra cool contacts with several Hams I talk to occasionally. One heard Me and jumped ahead and started Cqing to get Me to stop.Had a real nice QSO with him and later a station with an unfamiliar call introduced Himself as a VHF net control operator I talk to on sunday nights when He's running the NLRS net. He was operating some else's station during the contest.Cool.
  It was a little disappointing to not  better My last several years score with this contest but I had no DX contacts and very few Canadians. Not much west coast either. Maybe if I could keep at it till later at night I would catch some other areas  but just get too sleepy--
 less than 60 total contacts but once the kinks were worked out , as most contests--it was Fun!!
73---Tim

 

No comments:

Post a Comment