Sunday, January 20, 2013

Below Zero Weekend!


I had no particular picture to show the frigid weather, so I thought I'd add My favorite Dog-- this is "Bella" . Shes been a member of Our family since We picked Her out from a rescue place. She's a great companion and likes winter except with the present temperatures below zero Fahrenheit! Hers paws get cold- :(
   This weekends VHF contest was a no show for Me. My 2m radio was experiencing S9+ noise when it typically is S3-5 or less. Must be atmospheric.  6m was very quiet  but no activity heard when I was in the shack.
    I guess the HF bands were busy with the NA QSO SSB contest but in tuning around and switching antennas I soon realized My Butternut HF6V was not working. Very high SWR. I even bypassed coax switches,jumpers and lightening protection but it still tests bad. I've had occasional intermittant problems with this antenna usually on the matching stub area outside. Its -10 below right now and getting dark so futher inspection will have to wait till later this week. Its supposed to warm up towards the next weekend.
  On a positive note- -My 10m monobander is tuning real well on 6m,10m and also 12m. An added bonus I guess. Currently listening to 20m on My inverted "L" antenna. Its always nice to have antenna backups!! The more antenna's the better. Work tomorrow-- another below zero day---brrrrr
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment