Sunday, September 9, 2012

Several old Receivers/radios

I spent a rainy afternoon assembling this work area of old Receivers/radios. I've owned most of these for many years except for the Hallicrafters S-40B receiver which I aquired several years ago from an ex-ham. I had never tested it before and once going thru the slow power up process using a variac and iso-transformer ,I was disappointed to find it has many issues. Another project!!
  The old brown bakelite cabinet at the top is a Zenith 78H20 am/fm broadcast radio.This one also has the old FM 48mhz band .It also has several issues and needs some work. On the far right is a Military radio a  BC-348-R which has been converted from 28vdc to 120vac . It works well and I've owned it for many years.
  The far left is a very recognizable Zenith transoceanic H500 , a great radio and My first shortwave receiver I aquired when I was in high school. It was also My first tube radio and I was very proud to repair it back then. It still works well!
  I hooked up a wire to the radios and wound thru the basement but it seems to be quite noisy. I had a longwire like this in the basement before but I also now have lots more wiring and equipment to cause interference. I might try hooking these up to one of My external antennas to see if the interference goes away.
 Still was fun to bring these back on a workbench and "shine" them up. I don't know when I'll find the time to work on them. Maybe after the snow flies up north!
73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment