Sunday, September 16, 2012

FT-857 RTTY adventure

After purchasing My Yaesu FT-950, I have been for the most part using that radio for both SSB and RTTY contesting. My Yaesu FT-857 has been relegated as back up. The last RTTY contest I remember participating in was months ago and all was well. Recently I noticed My CAT port on My FT-950 is not passing frequency information to any logging programs. I tried from the FT-857 and it seems fine. I did some cable change out and other simple trouble shooting but until I open the FT-950 I won't know what the issue is.
  I decided to just quick set up My Ft-857 for the upcoming CQ RTTY contest so if I don't have a chance to fix FT-950 I'll still be able to participate.Well turns out "quick" was wishful thinking. I thought all the information on settings I had written down but unfortunately it turns out I had written down several different versions of settings. I also was having problems with My "kluged" together homemade interface. I had added several circuits to My interface for several radios and had never quite cleaned it up.
  Lots of experimenting with settings,hardware and cables I finally have a working setup. Some was just "memory fade" on My part with setting up the programs. This is the final solution-- My homemade interface for audio and PTT connected to com port 1 on the PC, plus a CT-62 from the data port on the FT-857 to com port 4 is the hardware hookup for handleing both PSK31 type modes and RTTY. The FT-857 menu changes are this-- menu 20--CAT, menu 37-- 50 (dig Gain)  , menu 38 -PSK31-U for that mode or RTTY-L if RTTY. VFO is USB or DIG for most Digital modes or LSB if using RTTY. Be aware that having VFO set to "DIG" seems to decrease output level but is not affected by volume control.
  I typically test all digital modes by first getting it working with "Digipan" to make sure the majority of the hardware and PC are working together. Then if using RTTY I switch to "MMTTY" before eventually incorporating My logging program "N1MM"
  Microham-USA has a good interface "how to" on their website - go to "support-- then "config examples" and pick a simple interface like the USB II and the program your using. It will show an example of setting up the com ports and software. I use N1MM and MTTY as the RTTY engine. It can be quite lengthy to explain but its step by step.
  Remember the FT-857 is an AFSK RTTY only radio. It will not do FSK but the receiving end will never know. The audio set up is a little more tricky and I do suggest trying this before the contest.
 good luck---73-Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment