Sunday, December 18, 2011

RAC Winter contest 2011

    This contest is run every December by the "Radio Amateurs of Canada" and I've managed to participate the last two years. Its a fun contest and the objective for stations outside of Canada are to make contact with 13 provinces and territories,14 RAC official stations and as many Canadian stations as possible. I also can contact USA and Dx stations for 2 points.This contest runs from 0000 UTC to 2359 UTC on December 17th on 160 thru 2m cw and phone but excluding the WARC bands!
All multipliers and RAC special stations can be contacted once for each mode on each band. RAC count 20 points while all canadian count 10 points.
   I started out at 0000 UTC and did a S & P operation between 20,40 and 75 m till a little before 0300 UTC. It seemed a tough go with the bands being noisy ,but I still  ended with more multipliers than expected with 20! QSO count was low at about 40. Not great but I hoped to have Saturday so I called it a night. Next morning I was on at 1334 UTC and the first contact was PEI- Prince Edward Island on 20m ! Nice start and the rest of the day  was spent with some nice multiplier additions on all bands except 160m-- and of course no activity for Me above 10m!
  I don't know if the proximity to Canada makes a difference but it seemed like I was able to Waltz into many pile-ups and bust them first call!! Who's the N0??? Well that be ME-LOL . Makes it lots of fun being the percieved big gun although 100w into a ground mounted vertical is not typically considered that!. I also seemed to have a good luck charm following Me because even though I wasn't running assisted I stumbled on good multipliers across the bands consistently. I snagged Northern territories on 5 bands and actually heard a NT tuning up and became a first contact! Neat!! I ended up only missing NU ( Nunavut) and missed that one because I was impatient Friday night and didn't try to bust thru a pile -up figuring I'd have a chance later! Not to be!! never heard another one! Out of the 14 RAC Official stations I contacted 7 different ones on the bands 12 times!!
  This contest would have been a good one to snag a run frequency but I had many QRT times so S & P was the way to go!  Here's the results- Fun contest I really recommend, Lots of season Greetings and Happy Holidays sent with exchange!!
  QSO-100   Points- 1008  Mults- 31 for a total of 31,248
73---Tim

    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment