Friday, January 2, 2015

Ham Radio Logging


Most of Us Ham Radio operators can not remember when logging a QSO was mandatory. I have lived in the era of logging for contests and to keep track of DX contacted but I am probably the unusual Ham who actually still logs most QSO's on paper plus Electronically. I have done the paper log since 1992, only skipping the many nets I participate in and also not the contests. I always put several lines in My paper log denoting the contest and where the ADIF or Cabrillo log has been sent. This might seem to be very unnecessary but just today trying to upload to LOTW, I actually needed to look back to 2004 for a log correction. In fact I had about 10 log corrections to make when I accidentally uploaded My entire HRD log from the beginning. --oops. Didn't mean to do that but it did help catch several entries for DXCC and WAS-- I now have 100 DXCC's confirmed for SSB and several more bands nearing WAS !
I have found over the Years that logging for Nets,contests and general logging seem to require a little different type program for each. I typically use N1MM for contesting and export it to my general logging program- Ham Radio Deluxe ver 5.24.0.36-- Yes the free one.Eventually I will need to upgrade but for now this version works OK. I also upload to EQSL and LOTW which are both good programs to keep track of worked QSO's,awards(LOTW & EQSL) and QSL cards( EQSL). It might seem rather cumbersome to use so many programs and services but it's fun for Me- an organization type Guy, to keep track of it all.
ARRL RTTY RU contest is this weekend
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment