Thursday, December 6, 2012

5T0SP and a pedestrian portable!

Its always fun and satisfying to contact a new DXCC and I was fortunate to contact 5T0SP in Mauritania twice so far. Mauritania is in western Africa just North of Senagal and this DXexpedition is active from November 24th to December 10th. I just happened to see them spotted on 40m at 0300 UTC running split on 7.160 and tuning there I found them about S3 on My ground mounted Vertical. Not a huge pile up but I had no luck with a contact so I continued listenening and spent time on the computer. Eventually I heard them increase to S7 or more so I gave a call- third time surprisingly was a charm. He repeated My call and I hoped He had it right because it sure sounded like a "J" was missing. Luckily  checking their website the next day verified it was correct . I also added them to 15m with just one call thr next morning!! Amazing!! They are also LOTW users so I will have another DXCC to make My total 81 verified and an even 100 worked.
 The same day I was checking 17m and heard an exchange between two portable stations. I listened for awhile and realized one was in My town. Steve- KD0ETC was operating pedestrian portable from a picnic table in a local park. The temperature outside was a balmy 20 degrees fahrenheit and He was having a great time! When He finished his QSO I contacted Him and had a very nice chat. He has operated portable from many local parks and even has a website explaining his set-up. It can be reached from his QRZ page. Maybe when I retire I'll have time for some warm weather portable operation.Sounds fun!
 73---Tim    Remember the ARRL 10m contest this weekend!!!
PS- just added 5T0SP on 20m SSB !

No comments:

Post a Comment