Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 RAC Winter contest & E51E

This is the fourth year I've participated in this contest and have improved My score each year. This is always a congienial and fun contest and this year was no different. It started at 0000 UTC December 29th  and runs 24 hrs ending at 2359 UTC December 29th. As always My time actually contesting was but a fraction of  the contest period  with Me pulling the plug early Friday night and starting again  Saturday morning. The bands did not seem to be really good at this northern Minnesota location ,with 10m a now show! Probably should have tried 160m later Friday night but was just too sleepy.
  I did stumble a bit with My typing skills and needed to remember to change the frequency manually on N1MM because My CAT connection from My FT-950 to My PC is not working. This did cause a little "dupe" confusion! Very embarrassing! I also fat fingered the "O" and "0" several times--not cool! Besides those operator error issues,My equipment worked well! I ran this contest as a single operator ,all bands,low power and SSB only! I used My Yaesu FT-950 into either a ground mounted Butternut HF6V vertical or a 260' Dipole depending on the band.
  I had contacts on 160m thru 15m with the most contacts being on 20m. I was able to contact 12 of the 13 Provinces and territories only missing (NU) Nunavut and contacted 10 of the 14 RAC Official stations multiple times between the bands. I also had 3 DX stations and many USA contacts.Plus I had a station from Hungary I contacted who I found out was in a different contest! During My time on 15m I heard E51E from a small island in the South Cook chain and made a contact with Him--neat!
  This was a very fun contest!  Here are the results: 120 QSO's,28 sections for a total of 33,544 points.
During this contest also had some "lake effect" snow to make it a perfect Winter contest!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment