Monday, June 11, 2012

June ARRL VHF contest

I only planned to operate this contest and give out some contacts to several local Hams. I don't have a working 6m Yagi presently but playing with different antennas I do have , turns out My ground mounted Butternut vertical turns good at 50.125mhz!  I also have a 13 element 2m yagi at 50 feet and My new 432 yagi at a paltry 25 feet. I had several committments so had no chance to get on the air till after 0000 utc and was able to contact several locals and 6m was also just finishing a small opening.
  Sunday late in the day I managed to get back on just after 2100 UTC and 6m was wild. It sounded like an HF contest with Hams calling CQ on top of each other. They eventually were spread out from 50.125 to 50.300 !! Wow! Even with My less than perfect antenna I managed around 50 Q's before other obligations took Me away.Band was still open but it was fun while it lasted for Me!Even contacted a rover in New York! Mostly New England and east Coast stations!
  I also missed having My new 10m Yagi on the short tower which might have tuned Ok on 6m. I hope to have some help this weekend to finish that installation.
  73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment