Monday, June 18, 2012

10m monobander is in the air!!

I had several coaxes to move around to make room for the new 10m yagi. Used one of the RF Parts heliax connectors I bought and then weather proofed this connection first with a mastic tape,then scotch 33, then scotch kote ( liquid tape) and then coax seal. This seems to take care of any moisture issue for years! I also wrap this connection to a coffee can to keep it off the ground which also helps since this stretch of coax lays on the ground from My basement shack to the tower!
  My Wife helped lift the 10m yagi up the tower so i could attach it to the mast. I'm very glad i didn't even try the big tri-bander- it would have been way too big. This mono bander fits real nice. Its only at about 20 feet but already the first night I was able to hear the difference on a local 10m net. This group gave Me signal reports between this antenna and My ground mounted vertical. There was also some distant signals and for the most part the Yagi was the strongest. I heard a couple locals very well compared to the vertical. As I'm typing this , I'm listening to 28400 and signals are popping in .
  The installation manual gave several portions of the band to have this tune at and I picked the lower end for digital and voice.  Measurements should have it tune best around 28300 and after installation it tunes best around 28390--- perfect! It still is 1.5 at 28000 and up to 28500 so I'm very happy. On the ground on sawhorses as a sanity check it was tuning around 27600 so until it was up and installed I was a little worried!
  73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment