Saturday, June 9, 2012

10m Yagi progress

I have been assembling the Hygain 10m Yagi when I have time. It was starting to be large enough that having it in the pole building was not working so I brought it out and set it up on two saw-horses. Temperature was mid 80s and humid-yuck!! I did test it with My MFJ antenna analyzer knowing at only several feet off the ground it would not be accurate. Pretty much a go-no-go test but SWR was not too far off with a low null at 27.600mhz. I've adjusted the element and beta feed point length according to the section of band I plan to use this antenna for. I chose the low end- CW,RTTY, SSTV and low voice so null should be about 28.250-28.300 but useable up to about 28.500. I think when this is up at about 25 feet it will tune where it should.
  This is a nice antenna and has been fairly easy to assemble--good instructions. I only have one complaint- with the boom assembly. It seems the only way to not have the boom twist is to tighten the boom and mast bracket Hercules tight and chance smashing the pipe or bending the bracket. I might drill some keeper screws so it doesn't twist after its up in the air. I hope the final install will be soon.
  73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment