Thursday, April 19, 2012

432 Yagi test

I finished running coax to the tower and attaching the ends. Added a long jumper you can see in the picture- its the "loop" seen at the end of the Yagi. With the added length it will work when I add the permanent mast and rotor.The picture shows My old/new 7 element yagi for 432mhz and My Comet GP-15 Vertical for 6m,2m and 70cm. The comet vertical is a great antenna and I highly recommend it!
  The Yagi is one I've had in the rafters for many years and decided to try and put it to use again. I managed to contact a local Ham who lives about 14 miles as the crow flies NW of Me. We talked vertical to vertical on the comet on 446 mhz FM and even though My Yagi is presently fixed at an easterly direction, We still managed a QSO. When its on a rotatable mast it should work just fine.
  I also has some success with several other Hams on both 70cm and 432mhz with the Comet antenna  and Horizontally polarized Yagi even though they are over the hill and down by the flatlands of Lake Superior! I'm definately pleased with this installation. A MFJ Antenna analyzer shows a coax loss of 2.5db at 432mhz for this long 100 foot run. It does mean My 20w from the radio will be more like 12w at the antenna but that appears to be enough!
 73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment