Monday, May 10, 2010

Vertical Antenna Maintenance

I noticed after the Winter Storms My Butternut HF6V Vertical was not tuning the same and even seemed to not "hear" as before. I eventually traced the problem to this 200pf 7.5kv doorknob Capacitor. I think not having this antenna guyed eventually the constant flexing broke this Capacitor. The metal arm in the picture is attached to a brass screw and it actually is were it is broke--the arm comes out!
I called Bencher Manufacturing- the owner of Butternut antennas and ordered a new Capacitor and a replacement 15m kit. The standoffs for this portion is plastic and after 25 years has deteriorated and broke. I have several held together with tape so time to replace. The price is rather high for the capacitor, next time I'll maybe try to find a generic on the Web.
The new cap and 15m kit arrived in a few days-- but before installation I decided to resolve the flexing issue by adding non-metallic guys. Butternut recommends adding guys at the 12 foot level and I did do this using a plastic sleeve with three holes drilled in it to accept a small diameter poly rope.I used a piece of pipe in the ground and two tree stumps, all about 4 feet high to attach the guys.Simple but effective- just needs to solidify the antenna and keeping it from swaying.
Installing the new Doorknob capacitor was simple and at the same time i tightened any loose hardware.I didn't install the 15m kit yet,but when I do I need to put anti-seize compound on any joints I take apart. I just barely installed this antenna before the snow was flying last year and neglected this step. Not good! The Antenna is definately playing better and I think some improvement will be gained with the rest of My future work on it. In the wind it is looking good!
73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment