Sunday, May 16, 2010

Another Antenna Project

Last Years project was the Butternut Vertical, year before that was a Comet GP-15 on top of a small tower attached to My pole building. The pole building by coax route- not as the crow flies but as is needed to keep it off My lawn is about 150 feet. Add the tower length and length to have enought to play with inside My basement and I end up needing about 200 feet of coax,rotor cable,etc.
Several years ago I bought an old steel tower, with coax ,rotors and the same year I also was given a Cushcraft ATB34- a tri-bander!! This was also the Year copper prices went thru the roof and I decided to use salvaged cable for the rotor cable run. The salvaged cable was a multiconductor, in a sheath ,but only 25 -35 foot long pieces. This would mean having about 5 splices to reach to a box outside My basement to a box on the nearest corner of My pole building. This is 24 conductor stranded so I soldered,heat shrunk each individual conductor.Then used progressively bigger tubing to encase the entire splice and wrapped with scotch 88 tape and finally used liquod tape over the entire splice. Lot's of work-you bet. But think of the money saved-- NOT!! Luckily My time at My hobby is cheap!!
Anyway that was several years ago and the cable was patiently waiting for Me to finally start this project. Into two boxes,one at each end I connected this cable to some screw terminal connector strips and used two short pieces of actual rotor cable to finish into My shack and attach a rotor temporaily for testing at the pole building end. I'm going to be using an old Hygain tailtwister and CDE control box. In the manual it gives resistance readings between all eight terminals without the control box connected. These all checked ok .so next I hooked the control box and while talking to My kids on the phone, had them watch the rotor. Worked perfectly!!
Next step is to assemble and test the tri-bander, of which I've done lots of measuring and thinking about! I'll explain during another post!!
73 for now---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment