Monday, July 7, 2014

13 Colonies Special Event 2014

This special event starts on July 1st and ends on July 6th and I totally forgot about it until the last day. Last year I accomplished a clean sweep and the year before only missed one station so when I realized I missed the first five days wasn't sure about a possible clean sweep. The weather up here was hot and muggy so at least time spent in the basement would be a relief and I wouldn't feel like i was neglecting any chores. I did accomplish a few outside activities between contacts on the radio. Conditions seemed good and all bands had some activity so I started on 10m and watched the spotting networks for the K2A-M stations being spotted. Turns out the most contacts for Me were on 20m but had several on 10 and 15m too.
About supper time I had most stations for a clean sweep including the WM3PEN and W3FT station which both had excellant signals in Minnesota.Fact is most of the stations were loud .After Supper i heard one of the last two needed- K2A from New York but He was running a little different than normal. He would ask for stations to call and make a list then tell everyone to stop and ask for the copied stations He called back one at a time. Ate up alot of time but- hey- He obviously felt more comfortable with this than by the numbers or running split. Unfortunately for Me- this meant a very difficult time getting thru--eventually i gave up when i saw K2B spotted on 20m too. His signal was not a strong and was mostly looking for DX! Bummer! I really needed to finish a few chores so decided to throw in the towel although I still had a few hours to try. Figured i did OK with 11 contacts plus the two extra stations but no clean sweep. I'll still send away for a certificate. This is a very fun event and I applaude all the operators who devote so much time to make it happen!!
Nice looking certificates too!!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment