Sunday, February 9, 2014

No FT5ZM for you!

I haven't even tried chasing the FT5ZM Dxexpedition till this weekend. Saturday morning I heard them on 14.185 listening up at 14.245 ? What's up with that?? Anyway couldn't break the pileup with my measly 100w into my ground mounted vertical and as the morning wore on they faded away. They ran some RTTY on several bands but I was busy with chores and just couldn't take the time then. I figured I would have later and even Sunday to try again. I was wrong since the bands tanked in the far north and I only was hearing whispers on any band so FT5ZM is not going to happen for me. Sad face but a bright spot- the last time a Dxexpedition was in that part of the world I never even heard a whisper! My antennas are definitely better. A little power might do the trick or just more time to chase- I guess they are QRT sometime tomorrow!
73-Tim

2 comments:

  1. That's a bummer. I've been traveling and working way too much the past 2 months but was lucky to get them on 20m phone on Saturday when they were working the same split you posted. I had my hex beam pointed east but they weren't strong so I switched it to pointing west and could hear them better. I was so lucky to get them quickly - I think about the 4th call. 100w and a hex beam or just pure luck? Anyway... they are in the log.

    I really would have liked to get them on RTTY and of course other bands/modes but that didn't happen. I need to be retired with no kids in college & no weddings to come and able to be on the air whenever I wanted. Ah to dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, I agree about retirement. I might have time for more Radio then. This year has been busier than previous ones but i do see some light at the end of the tunnel :)
    I've seen your call print a few times in several contests and also an occasional SSB passing by. Maybe catch a QSO on the bands sometime. Glad you recovered from Hurricane damage and your Hex beam is playing well!

    73---Tim

    ReplyDelete