Friday, August 20, 2010

The Pot of Gold!

Nice double rainbow with My tower and VHF antennas in the foreground. This picture was taken several days ago after another very heavy rain. My Daughter Kathy was able to take this great picture. No pot of gold so far, but I think the reward is just the beautiful scene!
This summer is fast winding down and antenna projects are at a standstill. I've given much thought to priorities and now I think maybe "less is more" will become My new goal. Having a big tri-bander in the air would be wonderful but at this point I am very happy with My big dipole and HF6V vertical for HF and my two Yagis and vertical for VHF seem to be adaquate. I also have a G5RV Jr. and 10/12m vertical in the air.
My 260 ft. dipole is fed with open wire feed from a tuner,so it is very much the classic muti-band antenna. I mostly use this one now on the 160 and 80m bands and use the Butternut HF6v vertical from 40-10m, even at times 6m to finish off the HF bands. Can I bust thru a pile-up like I maybe could with a beam and amplifier? No! Most times with patience and timing I can make the QSO if need be.
I still have some elements in place for a tri-bander-- rotor,feedline, tower on the ground and untested older tri-bander in storage. Still have time this year or next year or maybe never. We shall see-- I do think this year I will start downsizing in the basement-- just feels right to do so!!
Remember My new motto--Less is More!!
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment