Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stormy Weather

Working for a local Utility Company and also being a Ham Radio operator always makes Me rather jumpy when thunderstorms pass thru the area. Will I be called in to work repairing storm damaged communication equipment and will My Ham station at home survive unscathed?
Just as I pulled in the driveway tonight at the end of the workday it started raining and by Suppertime the local Ham radio Weathernets were activated. Rain was falling by bucketful and it was really thundering and lightening out. Then came the hail, soon littering the lawn with leaves and branches. Even ripping several window screens.
As always before the storm had intensified, I unplugged the non-UPS protected equipment in the Ham shack. One Antenna feedline has no lightening protection so I disconnected that one. My open wire feedline is still unprotected so I turn my antenna tuners to the dummy load position and hope for the best! Unfortunately, working around Communication equipment all these Years, I realize the weakest link ,such as My unprotected feedline, will be the avenue where lightening will pass!
Another storm passes and luck is on My side-- I really do need to spend the money to finish protecting the shack. Its only a matter of time.......
73---Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment