Sunday, April 17, 2022

Digital Interface to My Yaesu FT-950 part 2


 Part 1 was an overview of My journey with Digital modes and Ham radio. I had a semi working setup but I missed a big RTTY contest because of the difficulty keeping My existing setup working reliably. It was definitely time to upgrade so I started researching manufactured interfaces which would simplify my setup-hopefully. 

Lots of the information on the internet was old and I was careful to only look at newer articles  for my research. The amount of information with new equipment was lacking. It seems many radios now come standard with hardware built in and because of this the number of different manufacturers of digital interfaces has shrunk although some of the big players still exist. I looked at most of these but all seemed to be so universal they needed lots of option settings to have the hardware work with My radios. Then I stumbled across an interface from Yaesu --the SCU-17. The price was about the same as an average interface but because a lot was built in to this device the amount of interface cables to a Yaesu radio was minimal. All it required was one USB cable to My laptop, a RS232 serial cable to CAT port of radio and a connection to the data port in back of the FT-950. Easy peasy!!Power is even provided by USB port-- either AC or battery power to laptop is all thats needed.
 The next part I discuss hooking the SCU-17 up and the software parameters needed for CAT,RTTY and hopefully FT8.till next time---
Tim
 

No comments:

Post a Comment