Friday, May 25, 2012

Hy-gain LJ-103BA 10m monobander

I finally made a decision on what beam antenna to put in the air on my short tower. I have a Comet GP-15 vertical tri-bander at the top and right below that an old 432 Yagi. Both work well although the 432 needs to be higher. I also really wanted My ATB-34 tri-band on this tower but no matter how I try to figure a way to fit it up there---its just too big! I also too k down from the rafters a homemade 17m yagi but it too is big. Better than the tri-bander but still big. It also needs more than TLC-- it also needs parts and time I just don't have now!
  So -what to do? Well one thought came to mind was putting up a mono- bander for 10m. I check into a 10m net every Sunday, band has had some nice openings lately and several 10m contests are occur throughout the year. The boom size is only 8 feet as compared to 18 feet for a tri-bander and the longest element is 18 feet. Big but not overwhelming!
  Several manufacturers i looked at had mono-banders but the price was too high. Hy-gains LJ-103 is in My price range and has good reviews so I placed My order on Thursday. I guess they sold alot of these at Dayton!
  I took time this morning to finish the rotor/mast issue and now it turns the complete 360. I have some minor coax alterations and need to bring down an old CB vertical that is too close to the tower and will interfere with the new 10m beam. I'll tackle those when I have time. Excited for the new antenna to arrive. Finally aluminum in the air for HF. Maybe it'll also tune on 6m !!
 73--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment