Sunday, February 14, 2010

Barn Radio

I was having a difficult time deciding what Ham shack accessory to buy with money from Christmas and My Birthday. My Wife, bless Her heart, suggested another Radio! Not enough money for an all-band HF but certainly enough for a Yaesu FT-2800 2m FM rig. I have always had radios in My out buildings, mostly old "beaters" for 6m and 2m and it just so happens the 2m rig in My Pole Building ( a poor mans Barn) is old and interrmittant and this Radio will be a great replacement. I have two other 2800's in Our vehicles and they are rugged and reliable and handle the temperature extremes very well.
I powered this new rig on My bench and programmed in the local repeaters and 146.52 which is used in this area alot! I also added many public service frequencies, which I like listening to also.Once Spring finally arrives I'll move the Radio outside and work on the battered ground plane antenna on the pole building.
Its great fun having a radio outside when barbequeing and working around the yard. Keeps Me in"Ham"mode even during those hot Summer days!!

73 to all

No comments:

Post a Comment